Friendly folks and good neighbors; neighbors who are never too busy to stop, shake hands and visit a bit.
A community balanced between progress and pace; looking to the future but remembering the past.
That's Blackshear, a town of 3,300 folks in beautiful Southeast Georgia.
Blackshear is an attractive and growing town which features:
- Award winning historic courthouse and fountain area
- New two-million dollar public library
- Vibrant downtown area with over forty businesses and shops
- Extensive downtown streetscape improvements being implemented
- Strong Better Hometown and Downtown Merchants organization
- New sixty room centrally located hotel (opened 2009)
- Public schools widely recognized by the state for high competence and excellence
- New seven-million dollar elementary school presently under construction to accommodate growing student enrollments
- Newspapers which cover the city and county scenes
- Choice of telephone, internet and cable services
- Twenty-five established churches
Additional shopping, two colleges, and a Regional Medical Center less than a fifteen-minute drive from Blackshear.
Recreational activities abound in the area; Pierce County is sixty-percent forest land and offers excellent hunting and fishing opportunities. The Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge and Georgia coast are only a short drive away as well.
Whether you just visiting or have decided to make Blackshear your hometown; on behalf of the City Council and the citizens of Blackshear…
"Welcome to our community"
Mayor: Dr. Tom Davis