Incorporated in 1857, the county was given its name in honor of the 14th President of the United States, Franklin Pierce. Soon thereafter, Blackshear was established, being named for General Blackshear. It was not long after its establishment that the citizens had to make an important, yet difficult, decision as to whether they would remain loyal to the United States or join their fellow Georgians in the formation of a new government. When the War Between the States erupted many of Pierce County's sons were taken away to the battlefields of Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Tennessee. While the men were away fighting, the citizens felt the harsh realities of war firsthand when some 5000 Union prisoners were brought to Blackshear for imprisonment. At the time there were only 333 households.
This Mural was Sponsored in part by: